[LISA] Code or Don't Code [Was: Re: Ruby]

Moose Finklestein mizmoose at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 10:36:00 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM, John BORIS <jboris at adphila.org> wrote:

> Moose,
> I understand your frustration but managing a system may require you at
> times to do some type of code writing to accomplish something.

Sure, and that's when one of my patent-pending crappy shell scripts pop up.

There's a world of difference between "write 10 lines to automate this
stupidness we do by hand every time" and "Write a 4 page mess of code to
take a variety of inputs and decide what kind of coffee you will get and in
what kind of cup"

I think everyine in the thread is saying to learn these things because
> so many systems are being configured with these tools today that to be
> marketable you need these skills.
>
> I'm not saying it's not a good skill to have.  I'm saying that not
everyone has the ability to get this skill, and to insist that if you don't
have it you "can't" be a sysadmin is like saying that you cannot be a chef
if you can't make a roux.  Not every type of dish needs a roux, you know.